Forest City Baseball, McNair Field Forest City
August 1st and 5th
7:05 game time
- Two-time wooden-bat collegiate baseball summer league. Family friendly experience!
Summer Beach Bash
Every Tuesday all summer long, Rumbling Beach Resort
August 2nd, 9th, 16th, 23rd, 30th
5:30 – 9:30 pm
Come join us on the beach every Tuesday throughout the summer and hear The Last Resort band live. For over 15 years The Last Resort band has been bringing a mix of country, classic rock, beach, blues, oldies and even a little funk, all over Western North Carolina. Also enjoy beach volleyball, food, family fun and a Tiki Bar!
F.U.N.C.- Live Outdoor Music (summer series May – October)
Friday, August 5th, Central Street Downtown Rutherfordton
7:00 – 10:00 pm
- Bring your friends and a lawn chair down to Central Street, just off Main, to hear live outdoor music by a wide variety of up and coming artists and local legends as they jam out to the community. Root for your favorite performer each month to receive the traveling trophy. This great family friendly events feature local music, kids games, food, drinks & much more. Enjoy specialty brews from Ruff’ton Brewery or try a cup of jo from Small Town Coffee Roasters. http://www.rutherfordtourism.com/events#!/88323-f.u.n.c.-live-outdoor-music
Lake Lure Olympiad Summer Sports Festival
Friday, August 12th – Sunday, August 14th
Rumbling Bald Resort & Chimney Rock State Park
- The 12th annual sports festival is three days of competitive sporting events in Lake Lure and Chimney Rock. The festivities kick off on Friday evening at Rumbling Bald Resort with Opening Ceremonies, a 10K Dam run, 1-Mile OWS, and the Couch to Cart Path Run. Competitors then wake up Saturday for the Lake Lure Triathlon consisting of a 750 meter swim, 22.3K bike and a 5K run along a mapped out course at the resort. Families can share in the competitive events with plenty of activities including the Junior Olympiad. Finishing the weekend is the ultimate racing challenge: the 5K run or 25-Mile bike to the top of Chimney Rock. Both races end with a 7-9% grade incline that finishes at the base of the 315 foot tall Chimney Rock. The Lake Lure Olympiad is a nonprofit organization that has given back more than $300,000 to community charities.
7th Annual Dirty Dancing Festival
Friday, August 19th – Saturday, August 20th
Morse Park, Lake Lure
- Relive the moments of Baby and Johnny from your lawn chairs or blankets on Friday evening with a lakeside screening of the iconic film ‘Dirty Dancing’, held inside Morse Park in Lake Lure. Enjoy snacks, beverages and film merchandise throughout the show. Gates open at 4pm with a special performance by “Charlie vs Swayze” YouTube sensation Charlie Stone at 7pm! Screening starts at sunset. FREE event!
- On Saturday, get ready to have the time of your life! Grab your dancing shoes and come back to the park to enjoy a full day of festival fun. Learn the iconic dance moves from Asheville Ballet, listen to live bands, watch the shag competition, or try the watermelon contest. There will also be local handmade arts and crafts, food and beer garden, plus games and The Lake Lift Competition! Proceeds benefit Pancreatic Cancer Action Network. Don’t miss the “Dirty Dancing After Parties.
Hot Nights, Cool Rides
Saturday, August 20th
8:00 am – 7:00 pm
Main Street, Forest City
- Stroll by vintage automobiles from every decade lining the streets of Main Street in Forest City. From custom-built Rat Rods to luxurious Lamborghinis, this 400+ vehicle car, truck, and motorcycle show takes over downtown Forest City for the entire day. Thousands of spectators come out to enjoy the automotive eye candy, entertainment, food and fun.
Chimney Rock at Chimney Rock State Park
431 Main Street, Chimney Rock
- Naturalist Niche Series: Mountain Top Excursion
Saturday, August 20th
9:30 am – 1:30 pm
Includes Park admission:
- Follow a naturalist through the Hickory Nut Gorge of Chimney Rock State Park along the Off the beaten path to see areas of the park not normally accessible to the park. Learn about the diverse species to discover 36 rare plants and 14 rare animals Bring a lunch and dress appropriately for the weather. This hike is strenuous; wear comfortable hiking shoes and bring water. Space is limited to 15, so reserve your spot today!
4th Fridays On Main
Friday, August 26th
6:00 – 9:00 PM
Main Street Forest City
- Enjoy a leisure evening strolling down Main Street in Forest City listening to the sounds of local musicians as you toe tap your way through street vendors and merchant storefronts. Families will enjoy seeing the work of local artists and kids will have a ball with the face painting. The music series will continue all summer until the 4th Friday in October.
Tryon International Equestrian Center
4066 Pea Ridge Road, Mill Spring
SEASON SCHEDULE, August 2016
Tryon August I Hunter B/Jumper 4
Thursday – Sunday, August 11th – 14th, 8:00 am – 5:00 pm
Tryon August Dressage Summer 2- National Show
· August 13th – 14th, 8:00 am – 5:00 pm
Tryon August II Hunter B/Jumper 3
· Thursday – Sunday, August 18th – 21st, 8:00 am – 5:00 pm
Tryon August III Hunter B/Jumper 3
· Thursday – Sunday, August 25th – 28st, 8:00 am – 5:00 pm