Mountains Branch Library
The Mountain Breeze welcomes new Mountains Branch Library Branch Manager, Maria Davis, who began June 3, 2019.
Hi! My name is Maria Davis and I am so excited to be a part of Mountains Branch Library! I have already met some wonderful patrons, volunteers, and Friends of the Library and can’t wait to meet more! Everyone has been so welcoming and has made me feel right at home.
Before coming to Mountains Branch Library, I was at County Library for four years as the Marketing and Outreach Coordinator which included adult programming. I thoroughly enjoyed my time at County and I anticipate I will love it in Lake Lure just as much!
As many of you are aware, the Mountains Branch Librarian, Joy Maxwell, has retired. Joy was such an asset to Mountains Branch Library and she will surely be missed. Joy’s positive attitude, creative programming ideas, and community involvement will forever be a part of Mountains Branch Library.
It is almost time for Summer Reading Program at libraries across America and we are no exception. Miss Tamara, Youth Services Librarian for Rutherford County Library System, has worked diligently for the last several months getting ready for the new program. This year’s theme is “Universe of Stories” and it will be out of this world!
For the past several years, Rutherford County Library System, in conjunction with Norris Public Library, Spindale Public Library, and Mooneyham Public Library, have held a Summer Reading Program Kickoff Event to bring publicity to this great program. This year’s kickoff was held at the Pavilion on Park Square (POPS) in Forest City. We had a great time and registered many families for Summer Reading. We thank the Town of Forest City and the municipal libraries for working with us to ensure that every child in Rutherford County has an opportunity to continue reading throughout the summer.
Individual programs will be held at Mountains Branch Library on Tuesdays beginning at 2:00 pm most weeks June 25 – August 6. All programs are free, family friendly, and open to everyone (but are most appropriate for ages 4-12).
- July 9, 2019 we will dance our socks off in the library with fun music and dancing.
- July 16, 2019 will be “lit” with a Cosmic Party. We will have all kinds of glow-in-the-dark fun!
- July 23, 2019 will bring stories and songs that are out of this world!
- July 30, 2019 will hold a cosmic carnival “arcade/game day” at the library.
- August 6, 2019 will be End of Summer Bash with Billy Jonas
Mountains Branch Library has a schedule full of adult fun this summer. Why should children have all the fun? All events are free and open to everyone. !
- July 8, 2019 @ 11:00 – Learn how to make homemade authentic tortillas with Jessica Flores
- July 24, 2019 @ 3:00 – “Positive Relationship Tips” with Counselor Mary Reitano
- July 26, 2019 @ 3:00 – Paint your own silk scarf with Aditi Watson
- July 27, 2019 11:00 – 1:00 – Celebrate Hispanic Heritage with Food, Song, & Dance
- August 1, 2019 @ 4:00 – Cooking for One or Two with Tracy Davis from NC Cooperative Extension
- August 16, 2019 @ 3:00 – Paint your own silk scarf with Aditi Watson
- August 28, 2019 @ 3:00 – “Overcoming Stress, Frustration, & Anger” with Mary Reitano
The Friends of the Library July ‘Books and Bites’ luncheon event will be held July 9 at the Lake Lure Inn featuring Jonathan Putnam, author of “A House Divided”. See information on this page’s sidebar announcement.
Please drop by and introduce yourself to me when you have the chance. I would love to meet you!